Workwhile Questions with Thalia de Jong
A 1979 mint green Mercedes Benz, fluffy animals, and buying the candy. These things and more are what motivate and inspire Workwhile Member, filmmaker Thalia de Jong. Read on to get inside her head, and meet her in person at the upcoming Workwhile Design Talk on 3rd September at The Hoxton, Amsterdam!
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Me in a field with mini horses.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Me in a field with mini horses that don’t love me back.
3. Which living person do you most admire?
4. What is your greatest extravagance?
Watching The Hills: New Beginnings while chewing on Haribo peaches.
5. What is your current state of mind?
Very content, mixed with a zest of daily angst.
6. What do you consider the most overrated trend in design?
Straws made out of stainless steel. No fun!
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I overuse exclamation points. Always!
8. What piece of work do you wish you’d done yourself?
Kenzo World directed by Spike Jonze.
9. What is your dream project?
Working on it!
10. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Sticking to filmmaking even when I doubt myself.
11. What is your most useful tool you use for your craft?
A4's and black marker for drawing storyboards.
12. What do you do to get out of a creative rut?
First I wail, then I dance.
13. What would you do if you weren’t a designer?
14. What makes you unique as a designer?
My love of fluffy animals.
15. What do you most value in a client?
16. What do you most value in a collaborator?
A sense of humour.
17. Who are your professional inspirations?
Lernert and Sander forever <3
18. Which historical or fictional figure do you most identify with?
My 1979 mint green Mercedes Benz.
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
My guinea pigs; they eat, they sleep, they are guinea pigs.
20. What is your greatest regret?
Not buying the candy.
21. What is your motto?
Buy the candy!