Workwhile Questions with Karin Schwandt
Being in a state of flow, sports cars, and clients with an open mind. These things and more are what inspire and motivate information designer and Workwhile Founding Member Karin Schwandt.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Being in a state of flow.
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. Which living person do you most admire?
No one in particular.
4. What is your greatest extravagance?
5. What is your current state of mind?
Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines.
6. What do you consider the most overrated trend in design?
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I'll try to squeeze it in my schedule.
8. What piece of work do you wish you’d done yourself?
That changes almost daily - right now: 'You draw it' by the New York Times.
9. What is your dream project?
Any project where I can learn cool new stuff.
10. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Quitting a successful business, because it didn't make me happy.
11. What is your most useful tool you use for your craft?
My brain, a pencil and a piece of paper.
12. What do you do to get out of a creative rut?
Go to a design conference and drink beers with other designers.
13. What would you do if you weren’t a designer?
I would be an architect or -if I had the talent- a professional boxer.
14. What makes you unique as a designer?
I am an analytical person, I love to unravel complexity.
15. What do you most value in a client?
An open mind.
16. What do you most value in a collaborator?
Positive energy and straightforwardness.
17. Who are your professional inspirations?
Inspiration is everywhere, especially in daily stuff.
18. Which historical or fictional figure do you most identify with?
People say I look like Dexter's sister - but I don't agree.
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
Bold, courageous people.
21. What is your greatest regret?
Not starting boxing at a young age.
22. What is your motto?
Kill your darlings.