Workwhile Questions with Another Studio
Shower curtains, a Baywatch lifeguard, and not believing in regrets. We get to the bottom of what inspires, motivates, and scares Workwhile members Anne van Laarhoven and Beau Colin of Another Studio in this February series of Workwhile Questions.
1) What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Anne: Live in the moment and enjoy life as it is.
Beau: A food coma on a Saturday night on a beach.
2) What is your greatest fear?
Anne: Global warming.
Beau: Shower curtains.
3) Which living person do you most admire?
Anne: My future husband.
Beau: My auntie.
4) What is your greatest extravagance?
Anne: Rent and books.
5) What is your current state of mind?
Anne: I admire working moms.
Beau: Embracing the procrastination.
6) What do you consider the most overrated trend in design?
Anne: Colors. Just kidding.
Beau: Supreme-inspired logos
7) Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Beau: 'I’m so busy.'
8) What piece of work do you wish you’d done yourself?
Anne: Anything by Agnes Martin.
Beau: Elbe Philharmonic building in Hamburg.
9) What is your dream project?
Anne: A project that makes me happy and adds value to the world.
Beau: Making a baby.
10) What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Anne: From a professional point of view that would be my article for Amsterdam Fashionweek and Metro about the lack of diversity in the Dutch fashion industry and the brand development of Soda, a Russian makeup brand for teenagers.
Beau: Doing things that scare me.
11) What is your most useful tool you use for your craft?
Anne: My brain.
12) What do you do to get out of a creative rut?
Anne: Anything but work, to feel inspired again.
Beau: Do nothing.
13) What would you do if you weren’t a designer/copywriter/brand strategist
Anne: A photographer, artist or detective so I could make the perfect good cop, bad cop duo with Beau.
Beau: I would’ve either joined the police or be a chef.
14) What makes you unique as a designer/copywriter/brand strategist?
Anne: I’m fast and furious.
Beau: Providing the best snacks during meetings.
15) What do you most value in a client?
Anne: Being open to new ideas.
Beau: Understand that quick fixes are not the answer.
16) What do you most value in a collaborator?
Anne: The willingness to make each other grow.
Beau: Being honest and have a laugh.
17) Who are your professional inspirations?
Anne: People who take risks to make their dreams come true.
Beau: My grandma.
18) Which historical or fictional figure do you most identify with?
Anne: A Baywatch lifeguard.
Beau: Alice in Wonderland.
19) Who are your heroes in real life?
Anne: My friends and my sister Lotte.
20) What is your greatest regret?
Anne: I always think I have many. But then they are so much fun to look back at. So... none.
Beau: I don’t believe in regrets.
21) What is your motto?
Anne: Live life on the edge.
Beau: Just do it.