Workwhile Questions with BlackberryStulic and Eszter Takacs
Spending lots of money on ice cream, the wish to photograph the Queen, and listening to one's heart. This month's Workwhile Questions feature Workwhile Members Alexander Blackberry and Linda Stulic of BlackberryStulic and Eszter Takacs of Eszter Design - the creative trio behind Workwhile's project with Kunstlinie Almere Flevoland (KAF) to design the 2018-2019 Programma Magazine. Read on for their insights into their creative inspirations, and a preview of their work for KAF!
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Alexander: Inner peace.
Linda: the feeling of oneness and being without questions.
Eszter: I see two pictures: First: swimming in a hidden lake on top of Table-mountain in the sunset - it's a memory. Second: Spending Christmas in a ski chalet with the ones I love - it's a wish.
2. Which living person do you most admire?
Alexander: Linda Stulic.
Linda: Alexander Blackberry.
Eszter: My mother.
3. What is your greatest extravagance?
Alexander: I just can’t pick one, really.
Linda: Spending, spending, spending, spending.
Eszter: Silver & golden shoes, and the amount of money I spend on ice cream.
4. What is your current state of mind?
Alexander: Now what?
Linda: I don’t have time for this.
5. What do you consider the most overrated trend in design?
Alexander: Pinterest moodboards are the death of authenticity.
Eszter: I don’t know, and I’m proud of it.
6. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Alexander: “I get this.”
Linda: “My, I look awesome today.”
Eszter: “Cool” and “Sorry”.
7. What piece of work do you wish you’d done yourself?
Alexander: The Pantheon in Rome.
Linda: The computer.
Eszter: Sagrada Familia.
8. What is your dream project?
Alexander: Any project where each collaborator feels ignited and of value.
Linda: I want to photograph the Queen.
Eszter: Launching my own magazine & designing my dream home.
9. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Alexander: Accepting that I am enough.
Linda: Everyone leaving my studio happy.
Eszter: Starting to follow my dreams and not just daydreaming about them.
10. What is your most useful tool you use for your craft?
Alexander: Heart and energy.
Eszter: My mind.
11. What do you do to get out of a creative rut?
Alexander: Listen to my heart.
Linda: I never got out.
Eszter: Lie on the grass and/or meditate.
12. What would you do if you weren’t a designer?
Alexander: I don’t see myself a a designer. I like many things. I believe you can be anybody.
Linda: I would be a rockstar.
Eszter: I would be a math teacher, or a dog walker.
13. What makes you unique as a designer?
Linda: Good energy always.
Eszter: I don't aim to be unique, I just aim to be myself. Maybe it counts unique...
14. What do you most value in a client?
Alexander: Open mind and confidence.
Eszter: Trust, fairness, responsiveness, good sense of humour.
15. What do you most value in a collaborator?
Alexander: The will to let go of the tricks and present their best selves.
Linda: Fun and honesty.
Eszter: Constructive criticism, humour, abstract thinking, and a good heart.
16. Who are your professional inspirations?
Alexander: I like people who dare to cross borders. I take my inspiration from art and culture. Right now they would be New York Sunshine, Virgil Abloh and Murakami.
Linda: Andy Warhol, Gorillaz, Nintendo, Terry Richardson and lots of music.
Eszter: Flora, Fauna, various artists and designers.
17. Which historical or fictional figure do you most identify with?
Alexander: Roy Hobbs.
Linda: Andy Warhol.
Eszter: I don't know, this one is too hard.
18. Who are your heroes in real life?
Alexander: My daughters and Miss Stulic.
Linda: My friends.
Eszter: My mother.
19. What is your greatest regret?
Alexander: Acting alone.
Linda: Thinking I have to be a workaholic to be valued.
Eszter: That I actually wrote something here at first.
20. What is your motto?
Alexander: Catch the light!
Linda: Always have fun!
Eszter: That can change in a day, but for now: Hakuna Matata
Want to see more? Check out the entire KAF Programma Magazine here!